I know Gary Porter and I am impressed with what must be a difficult political challenge for him in making the case for better resourcing of those issues where local government has been left “holding the baby” This report tells us:
A senior Conservative peer has warned that councils will need to slash [...]
Having done some work on the impact of employability schemes I have grown to like some of the additional flexibility offered by universal credit – particularly the fact that it provides a tapered approach to the loss of benefits for those getting part time work rather than the older approach of the 16 hours cliff [...]
This is ostensibly good news for small town high streets.I hope the relief offered is meaningful not just a short term fix. The article tells us.
The government will offer extra help for small firms affected by an imminent change to business rates, the communities secretary has announced, saying that more should be done [...]
More proof- if it were needed of the impact of housing costs on people’s ability to live in rural places. This profile tells us South Ribble is good because:
Name: South Ribble.
Appearance: Non-metropolitan district in Lancashire.
Never been. What’s it like? It’s the best place to live in Britain.
This is ostensibly a good news story. It raises in my mind the real potential an act akin to the Scottish Land Reform Bill would have for rural community determination of the use of the land where people live would have on our green and pleasant land? It tells us:
It was the island [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society Brexit broadband Budget budget cuts Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 Libraries local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Research and analysis: Low-income pupils' progress at secondary school February 27, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: Scots language February 26, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: Chibok kidnapping February 26, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: Ofcom and Russia Today February 26, 2017
- Correspondence: Vaccine update: issue 259, February 2017 February 24, 2017
- FOI release: FOI Scheme on overseas visitors February 24, 2017
- Transparency data: Official Development Assistance (ODA): FCO Programme Spend February 24, 2017
- Transparency data: Official Development Assistance (ODA): International Subscriptions February 24, 2017
- Transparency data: Official Development Assistance (ODA): British Council February 24, 2017
- Transparency data: Official Development Assistance (ODA): BBC World Service February 24, 2017
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.