My friend and sometime Newcastle University rural guru Terry Carroll is a trustee at Vindolanda. I wonder if he planted this boot – which may have previously belonged to Alan Shearer rather than David Beckham – as part of a publicity drive….??? The plot thickens if you read below:
Archaeologists were left stunned when [...]
Tritram Hunt’s brilliant book: “Building Jerusalem” is one of the most accessible and thought provoking expositions of the roots of modern local government. It should be essential reading for all those interested in our origins as a movement. Irrespective of his political inclinations as an MP I always therefore have a good listen to what [...]
Jessica and I have noted an increasing tempo around rural health issues in the context of our work and connections – I do think this article points to the net big area of national challenge once Brexit has become embedded as the new normal. The article tells us:
The body that represents hospitals across [...]
This article does nothing more than expose some double dealing in the way we deal with badgers and shows just how powerful the farming lobby has become.
It gives me pause for thought, although there is clearly no direct linkage, on the decision to guarantee Pillar 1 payments (direct farm payments) but not Pillar [...]
I have a bad feeling about all of this. I was listening to David Davis saying with a sense of zealous brio yesterday that the size of his department had doubled and he expected it to double again – anyone for reversing the last five years of local authority lay offs?! The article tells [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 Libraries local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- FOI release: FOI Research reports commissioned by NHS Improvement September 23, 2016
- FOI release: FOI Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust: assorted documents 2016 September 23, 2016
- Guidance: European passport return service: Glasgow and Belfast (premium service centres) September 23, 2016
- Correspondence: Remit letter and timetable for Police Remuneration Review Body 2017 pay round September 23, 2016
- Guidance: Integrating home adaptations for better health and wellbeing outcomes September 23, 2016
- Corporate report: Delivering the Greening Government Commitments 2016-20 at DVLA September 23, 2016
- Notice: Financial Notice to Improve: Robert Owen Academy Trust September 23, 2016
- Notice: Financial notice to improve: The Education Fellowship Trust September 23, 2016
- Transparency data: Investigation report: The Education Fellowship Trust September 23, 2016
- FOI release: FOI responses published by MOD: week commencing 19 September 2016 September 20, 2016
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.