In what is turning into a very sad week I had to mark the passing of my great crime writer hero (second only in book to Ian Rankin) with this And Finally.. Thee article tells us:
Colin Dexter, the author behind detective Inspector Morse and his adventures solving mysteries in Oxfordshire, has died at [...]
When I left a decent University at 21 with a reasonable degree there was a notion of public service. No-one batted an eyelid when I went to work in Local Government as a respected profession. Many of my colleagues now feel like punch-bags. Some people now raise an eyebrow when I talk about having an [...]
Some good news. Although we do now live in a world where a DWP employee told me that agency working and transient pattern of employment were something we need to accept as a way of life….
Official figures released today show that the unemployment rate has fallen to 4.7% – the lowest level in [...]
We need some of these facilities in smaller rural towns where isolation and not just for the older generation can be a very debilitating issue. This article tells us;
Marks & Spencer is launching a string of cafés designed to provide a space for people to escape the bustle of daily life, share stories [...]
I like IPPR and it recently published a useful article on the rural economy. Why define these towns as just places that feel like small cities. I was fascinated by the “Start the Week” (Radio 4) discussion about the categorization of people into “Anywhere’s” and “Somewhere’s” in the new book “The Road to Somewhere” by [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society Brexit broadband Budget budget cuts Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 Libraries local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers NHS Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools supermarkets tourism transport unemployment
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Guidance: State Pension age review: a GAD technical bulletin March 24, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: staff using Airbnb accommodation during 2016 March 24, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: Twitter account @UKinBahrain March 24, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: reports on Donald Trump's inauguration day March 24, 2017
- Corporate report: DIO procurement plan 2017 March 24, 2017
- Guidance: Civilian apprenticeships in the Ministry of Defence: booklet March 24, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: British training of Bahraini security forces and OSJAs March 24, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: protect and prepare programmes for Kenya March 24, 2017
- Transparency data: Congratulatory letters for schools at key stage 2 March 24, 2017
- Correspondence: Flagging Up: Issue 34 March 24, 2017
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.