Lest we thought the West Country was a hot bed of barbarianism this story tells us!
The discovery of a few muddy coins in a Devon paddock by a pair of amateur metal detector enthusiasts has led to the redrawing of the boundary of the Roman empire in south-west Britain.
Previously it had [...]
This article, by Lord Best (a crossbench peer, chair of the APPG on housing and care for older people and former president of the Local Government Association), calls for government to turn its attention to promoting new housebuilding for older people. [...]
A change in the law is needed to force parents to declare when their children are being home-educated, councils say.
Currently, parents do not need to tell their local authority when a child is being taught at home, unless they have been removed from school.
Portsmouth and Reading are among the councils who want [...]
The Government’s commitment to offer three and four-year-olds 30 free hours of childcare a week may be in jeopardy if not enough childminders and nurseries are willing to offer up places, a group of MPs have warned.
In a pitch to working families across the country, the Tory manifesto contained a pledge to save [...]
According to this story before too long, most people living in England will find they have a directly elected mayor in their area, making big decisions on transport, economic development, skills, further education, and possibly public health and policing. These mayors will sit at the heart of devolution deals, agreed between central government and [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 Libraries local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Notice: RG29 1RA, Sovereign Housing Association Limited: environmental permit application June 28, 2016
- Guidance: Flu vaccine: best practice guide for GPs June 28, 2016
- Notice: SO21 1QA, Mrs Lynn Chapman: environmental permit application advertisement June 28, 2016
- Notice: SP11 9BY, Ramridge Park Sewerage Association Limited: environmental permit application advertisement June 28, 2016
- Guidance: Agent update: issue 54 June 28, 2016
- Guidance: Antibiotic Resistance: what work is the VMD doing? June 28, 2016
- Guidance: How to get a passport if your child was conceived through sperm donation June 28, 2016
- Guidance: Getting a UK passport if your child was born through surrogacy June 28, 2016
- Guidance: Phonics screening check: 2016 materials June 28, 2016
- Corporate report: Groceries Code Adjudicator Annual report and accounts 2015-2016 June 28, 2016
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.
- Network fights for better broadband June 27, 2016
- Rural councils seek 'urgent' reassurance on Brexit June 26, 2016
- Rural businesses 'united' post-Brexit June 26, 2016
- Watchdog welcomes rethink on NHS June 23, 2016