JRF launched the latest update (for 2016) of their minimum income standards work. It reveals the significant impact rising childcare fees have had on the quality of people’s lives and the flexibility of their income overall. A few years ago a rural spin on this research revealed it is considerably more expensive to maintain a [...]
I was facilitating a Community Led Local Development discussion recently and was made aware of the number of additional flexibilities Universal Credit offers for those entering experimental or temporary work opportunities linked to wider employability strategies. I started to wonder notwithstanding the article below if there really is more to UC than just cutting [...]
It feels a bit like the phony war at the moment with a momentous decision having been made whist any consequences are slowly starting to push through. I think this is particularly manifesting itself in the context of uncertainty at present – as this article about the role of migrant labour in agriculture illustrates. [...]
Higher student debts arising from this story will inevitably make it even more difficult for graduates from rural areas to find a place of their own to live in the countryside….. I personally feel saddling our brightest with a debt of approaching £30,000 is an onerous enough disincentive without making it even more expensive to [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 Libraries local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Research and analysis: Carrier bag charge: summary of data in England for 2015 to 2016 July 29, 2016
- Transparency data: DfE websites: reporting on progress 2015 to 2016 July 29, 2016
- FOI release: FOI Financial position of all trusts July 29, 2016
- Research and analysis: Why people move: understanding the drivers and trends of migration to Europe July 29, 2016
- Guidance: Claims Management Regulator - Misleading marketing statements July 29, 2016
- Transparency data: The Garden Bridge July 29, 2016
- National Statistics: Children accommodated in secure children's homes: 31 March 2016 June 9, 2016
- Guidance: Accreditation of GCSEs, AS & A levels for teaching from 2017 May 19, 2016
- Guidance: Free schools: how to apply December 22, 2015
- Policy paper: Carrier bags: why there's a 5p charge July 17, 2015
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.