This article, written by Paul Jepson from the University of Oxford, describes how in 2015 rewilding has moved from a fringe idea to a mainstream vision. He describes how rewilding has moved from a fringe idea to a mainstream vision.
George Monbiot’s rewilding manifesto has attracted wide media coverage, a new pressure group [...]
Little extra to add to this article apart from (reflecting on the RSN seminar today) to say it’s going to be one of the biggest and most insuperable issues facing the elderly in rural England. It tells us:
Nursing homes and care agencies in England are likely to be short of 200,000 [...]
I’m at an RSN seminar on ageing issues today. This is a really hot topic in our discussions. Blockages in the housing system back up all the way to the other end of the age spectrum with too few houses for the elderly to downsize into. The article tells us:
Almost 60% of [...]
There is something of a housing theme to hinterland this week. This article profiles the work of the Scottish Empty Homes Partnership which is making positive strides in unclogging housing supply in rural areas. My gut tells me the situation will be equally acute in England. The report tells us:
Bringing unoccupied homes [...]
There is still considerable cynicism about the Northern Powerhouse concept being a mirage. We have two stories in Hinterland this week. This one brings a questioning approach to the concept. The article suggests:
The Northern Powerhouse is “a concept yet to catch fire” that could go the same way as the “Big Society” [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts climate change Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Guidance: Children looked after return 2016 to 2017: technical specification November 27, 2015
- Guidance: Children looked after return 2016 to 2017: guide November 27, 2015
- Transparency data: BIS prompt payment data: July to September 2015 November 27, 2015
- Guidance: Children looked after return 2015 to 2016: technical specification November 27, 2015
- Corporate report: National Measurement and Regulation Office: Civil Service people survey November 27, 2015
- Impact assessment: Climate Public Private Partnership Programme (CP3) November 27, 2015
- Correspondence: Response to NRDC campaign 'Save Our Southern Forests' November 27, 2015
- Impact assessment: Ethiopia Productive Safety Net Programme phase 4 (PSNP 4) November 27, 2015
- Impact assessment: The Global Environment Facility (GEF) November 27, 2015
- FOI release: FOI Tendering of Birmingham mental health services – correspondence (internal review) November 27, 2015
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.
- Government urged to honour rural fairer funding promise November 23, 2015
- Funding shake-up for rural schools November 23, 2015
- Grants available for rural Derbyshire November 20, 2015
- Call to support rural post offices November 18, 2015