To all our Hinterland reading chocolate eaters – some cause for modest concern (and perhaps some pre-emptive christmas bulk buying) in this story about your favourite confection. This article tells us:
Soaring demand from Asian consumers, and increasing Western appetite for darker chocolate could result in a major supply shortage in 2015.
Trust me – this is a big issue in rural England and is often below the radar. The article tells us:
About 300,000 disabled people are stuck on housing waiting lists across the UK, forced to make do in accommodation that does not meet their needs, according to a charity report.
In No [...]
Nonsensical this may seem but at least the story shows in Wales they take the importance of rural schools seriously. This story tells us:
Like all schools, it has a head teacher, governors, and a caretaker.
But unlike any other school, Llanfynydd Primary has not a single pupil.
The “phantom” village school near [...]
I still feel that the revival of garden cities misses the importance of investing in housing in the established rural places they seek to recreate – why re-invent the wheel when an imaginative approach to incremental growth in rural communities themselves could make a bigger difference? Some residents of Bicester seem to agree as this [...]
The first of two autumn statement stories. This imaginative and most interesting feature of the autumn statements will put the mortgage cat amongst the housing pigeons – without it knocking on to more housebuilding however I wonder if it will have much impact on rural communities in terms of housing stock? The article [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget climate change Council Tax Defra Drought education Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices garden cities Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Mutuals Planning poverty Prince Charles Recession Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools tourism transport unemployment waste wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Guidance: National networks national policy statement: plans, policies and programmes December 17, 2014
- Policy paper: National networks national policy statement consultation: government response December 17, 2014
- Guidance: National networks national policy statement: post adoption statement December 17, 2014
- Policy paper: National networks national policy statement: habitats regulations assessment December 17, 2014
- Policy paper: National networks national policy statement: appraisal of sustainability December 17, 2014
- Policy paper: National policy statement for national networks December 17, 2014
- Research and analysis: Technical Assessment of the Operation of Coal & Gas Fired Plants December 17, 2014
- Guidance: Overseas registries December 17, 2014
- Corporate report: Child maintenance: client funds account 2013 to 2014 December 17, 2014
- Policy paper: Code of practice for the housing and care of animals bred, supplied or used for scientific purposes December 17, 2014
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.