It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget Council Tax Defra Drought education Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Mutuals Nuclear Power Planning poverty Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment tourism transport unemployment waste
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Form: Submit an annual return for a newspaper (NLR1) October 1, 2014
- Form: Notify a change of newspaper proprietor (NLR2) October 1, 2014
- Statistics - national statistics: Statistics on alcohol England: 2014, additional tables October 1, 2014
- Guidance: Blowing the whistle: list of prescribed people and bodies October 1, 2014
- FOI release: FOI response: Out of work benefit claimants with children under 5, in Croydon: Nov 2013 October 1, 2014
- Statistics - national statistics: Building materials and components statistics: September 2014 October 1, 2014
- Statistics - national statistics: Population estimates of persons aged 85 and over (Northern Ireland): 2013 October 1, 2014
- Statistics: NHS GP referrals for first out-patient appointments in Wales: August 2014 October 1, 2014
- Statistics - national statistics: Private fostering in Wales: financial year ending March 2014 October 1, 2014
- Statistics: Protection of vulnerable adults: 2013 to 2014 October 1, 2014
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.