It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget Council Tax Defra Drought education Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Mutuals Nuclear Power Planning poverty Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment tourism transport unemployment waste
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Guidance: Applications for reviews on patent opinions September 23, 2014
- Policy paper: UK action plan to defeat Ebola in Sierra Leone: background September 23, 2014
- Policy paper: International call for assistance to combat Ebola from the governments of Sierra Leone and the UK September 23, 2014
- Decision: The John Henry Newman Catholic School September 23, 2014
- Guidance: NHS foundation trust bulletin September 2014 September 23, 2014
- Form: Change location of records to registered office: limited liability partnership (LL AD04) September 23, 2014
- Research and analysis: Japan: 26th monthly trade deficit September 23, 2014
- Form: Change location of records to the single alternative location: limited liability partnership (LL AD03) September 23, 2014
- Guidance: Private fostering return 2015 to 2016: guide September 23, 2014
- FOI release: Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic staff September 23, 2014
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.