This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular Topicsbadger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts climate change Coastal Council Tax Defra Drought education food Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health HS2 Informal economy local food local government localism Market Towns Mutuals National Planning Framework Nuclear Power Olympics Planning Recession Renewables Rural Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural proofing rural schools Rural unemployment tourism transport unemployment waste
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Policy paper: Letting children be children: progress report May 24, 2013
- Open consultation: Office of Tax Simplification: review of unapproved share schemes May 24, 2013
- FOI release: Offshore inspectorate EIR 13/0421 May 23, 2013
- Statistics: Make DWP an exemplar of effective service delivery (Departmental Strategic Objective 7) May 23, 2013
- Guidance: Projects British High Commission Bridgetown will support in 2013-14 May 23, 2013
- Guidance: Green Deal: OFT/ DECC joint guidance for providers May 23, 2013
- Guidance: Guide to using the Green Deal Plan Tool May 23, 2013
- FOI release: Request for costs and benefits of the childcare ratios proposed in 'More great childcare' May 23, 2013
- Independent report: South west aggregates working party: annual report 2010 May 23, 2013
- Transparency data: Monthly workforce management information: financial year 2013 to 2014 May 23, 2013
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.
Sign up for Hinterland