It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some scope [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the number [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at North [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 Libraries local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Guidance: Trade Unions’ Registers of Members: the Certification Officer’s powers of investigation and enforcement June 1, 2016
- Statutory guidance: Scottish Real Time Closures (RTCs) 3 June 2016 to 23 June 2016 May 31, 2016
- Statutory guidance: Real Time Closures (RTCs): June 2016 May 31, 2016
- Corporate report: Oil and Gas Authority Overview 2016 May 31, 2016
- Guidance: HPV vaccination pilot for men who have sex with men (MSM) May 31, 2016
- Guidance: Anti-Dumping Duty measure AD2117 May 31, 2016
- Notice: DE55 6EW, Anthony Aston Builders Ltd: environmental permit application advertisement May 31, 2016
- Notice: GL7 6DF, Moreton C Cullimore (Gravels) Limited: environmental permit application advertisement May 31, 2016
- Statutory guidance: Application form in relation to use of electronic communications May 31, 2016
- Guidance: Compliance checks: tax avoidance schemes - follower notices and accelerated payments for Income Tax and NICs through PAYE - CC/FS27 May 31, 2016
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.