It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget climate change Council Tax Defra Drought education Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices garden cities Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Mutuals Planning poverty Prince Charles Recession Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools tourism transport unemployment waste wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Guidance: National networks national policy statement: plans, policies and programmes December 17, 2014
- Policy paper: National networks national policy statement consultation: government response December 17, 2014
- Guidance: National networks national policy statement: post adoption statement December 17, 2014
- Policy paper: National networks national policy statement: habitats regulations assessment December 17, 2014
- Policy paper: National networks national policy statement: appraisal of sustainability December 17, 2014
- Policy paper: National policy statement for national networks December 17, 2014
- Research and analysis: Technical Assessment of the Operation of Coal & Gas Fired Plants December 17, 2014
- Guidance: Overseas registries December 17, 2014
- Corporate report: Child maintenance: client funds account 2013 to 2014 December 17, 2014
- Policy paper: Code of practice for the housing and care of animals bred, supplied or used for scientific purposes December 17, 2014
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.