It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts Council Tax Defra Drought education farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices garden cities Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning poverty Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Guidance: Field safety notice (FSN): what it is and why it's important April 17, 2015
- Notice: YO43 4RG, Jollydays Luxury Camping Limited: Environmental permit application advertisement April 17, 2015
- Guidance: Guidance for Constitutional Consents (sections 212 to 214), Restructuring and Dissolution (sections 160 to 165) April 17, 2015
- Decision: Decision Instrument 8 April 17, 2015
- Decision: Decision Instrument 9 April 17, 2015
- Guidance: KS1 assessments data collection 2015: technical specification April 8, 2015
- Guidance: Phonics screening data collection 2015: technical specification April 8, 2015
- Guidance: EYFSP 2015: technical specification March 12, 2015
- Decision: Company Names Tribunal decision: Banque Damerique Corporation Limited February 20, 2015
- Decision: Company Names Tribunal decision: Verizon IT Consultants Ltd February 20, 2015
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.