It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some scope [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the number [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at North [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts climate change Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- FOI release: Minimum wage jobs in Ashfield Local Authority since 2009 December 9, 2016
- Official Statistics: Mother and Baby Units: applications and admissions February 6, 2016
- Guidance: Interim guidance on applying a new clause in government grant agreements February 6, 2016
- Research and analysis: Respiratory infections: laboratory reports 2016 February 5, 2016
- Transparency data: National Measurement and Regulation Office monthly spend: January 2016 February 5, 2016
- Transparency data: UKEF: spend over £25,000, August 2015 February 5, 2016
- Transparency data: UKEF: spend over £25,000, September 2015 February 5, 2016
- Transparency data: UKEF: spend over £25,000, July 2015 February 5, 2016
- Guidance: Housing Benefit review: local authority good practice guide February 5, 2016
- Guidance: Spotlight 29: don't fall for it - misleading claims made by tax avoidance scheme promoters February 5, 2016
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.
- Rural bus services 'being wiped out' February 4, 2016
- Councillor Roger Begy OBE February 2, 2016
- Government faces 'major revolt' over rural funding February 2, 2016
- Listen to MPs on rural funding, government ministers told January 27, 2016