This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular Topicsaffordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget Council Tax Defra Drought education Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Mutuals National Planning Framework Nuclear Power Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment tourism transport unemployment waste
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Open consultation: Revision of the 'SEND code of practice: 0 to 25 years' April 16, 2014
- Transparency data: ILF expenditure, March 2014 April 16, 2014
- Policy paper: Delivering Differently: summary of 4 April 2014 event for bidders April 15, 2014
- Notice: Delivering Differently programme services: contract notice April 15, 2014
- FOI release: How many paid public appointments April 15, 2014
- Research and analysis: The Impact of Tertiary Education on Development April 15, 2014
- FOI release: Civil service away days April 15, 2014
- FOI release: Details of meetings between Defra and 5 sugar organisations April 15, 2014
- Notice: TS2 1HG: Environmental permit application advertisement April 15, 2014
- FOI release: Monitoring of methane emissions April 15, 2014
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.