This is an uncommon but not completely unknown phenomenon in England. I have been working with a former RAF Base now largely an industrial centre but with very little integration between its residents and its businesses. If you would like to know more drop me an email. In the meantime this article tells us:
It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some scope [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the number [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at North [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society Brexit broadband Budget budget cuts Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 Libraries local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers NHS Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools supermarkets tourism transport unemployment
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Guidance: State Pension age review: a GAD technical bulletin March 24, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: staff using Airbnb accommodation during 2016 March 24, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: Twitter account @UKinBahrain March 24, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: reports on Donald Trump's inauguration day March 24, 2017
- Corporate report: DIO procurement plan 2017 March 24, 2017
- Guidance: Civilian apprenticeships in the Ministry of Defence: booklet March 24, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: British training of Bahraini security forces and OSJAs March 24, 2017
- FOI release: FOI release: protect and prepare programmes for Kenya March 24, 2017
- Transparency data: Congratulatory letters for schools at key stage 2 March 24, 2017
- Correspondence: Flagging Up: Issue 34 March 24, 2017
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.