It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some scope [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the number [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at North [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 Libraries local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Guidance: Procurement policy note 06/16: Armed Forces Covenant June 24, 2016
- Guidance: Dominican Republic Bilateral Programme Fund: Call for Bids 2016 June 24, 2016
- Guidance: Customs Information Paper 42 (2016): EU Referendum June 24, 2016
- Decision: Ricards Lodge High School June 24, 2016
- Transparency data: DfE monthly workforce management information: 2016 to 2017 June 24, 2016
- Policy paper: Wye Abstraction Licensing Strategy June 24, 2016
- Notice: BA12 0JW, Mr Roderick and Mrs Janice Angel: environmental permit application advertisement June 24, 2016
- Notice: BN27 4EA, Ms Kristina Studzinski and Ms Ann-Marie Tynan: environmental permit application advertisement June 24, 2016
- Notice: National Sea Scout Regatta: river restriction June 24, 2016
- Notice: LN5 0AX, Blankney Estates Limited: environmental permit application advertisement June 24, 2016
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.