This is an uncommon but not completely unknown phenomenon in England. I have been working with a former RAF Base now largely an industrial centre but with very little integration between its residents and its businesses. If you would like to know more drop me an email. In the meantime this article tells us:
It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some scope [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the number [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at North [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 Libraries local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- FOI release: Number of rateable properties, total rateable value and average rateable value by special category October 26, 2016
- Official Statistics: Local government pension scheme funds for Wales: 2015 to 2016 October 26, 2016
- Official Statistics: Local government pension scheme funds for England: 2015 to 2016 October 26, 2016
- Research and analysis: Legionnaires’ disease in England and Wales report: 2015 October 26, 2016
- FOI release: Spending on leases from 2013-14 to 2015-16 October 26, 2016
- National Statistics: Taking Part October 2016: "Focus on..." reports October 26, 2016
- Decision: Regulatory judgement: Places for People Group Limited April 26, 2016
- Decision: Regulatory judgement: St Vincent's Housing Association Limited April 26, 2016
- Decision: Regulatory judgement: Asra Housing Group Limited March 30, 2016
- Decision: Regulatory judgement: County Durham Housing Group Limited March 17, 2016
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.