This is an uncommon but not completely unknown phenomenon in England. I have been working with a former RAF Base now largely an industrial centre but with very little integration between its residents and its businesses. If you would like to know more drop me an email. In the meantime this article tells us:
It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some scope [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the number [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at North [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 Libraries local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Consultation: Statutory Post Implementation Review (PIR) of the Merchant Shipping (Safety of Navigation) (Amendment) Regulations 2011 - Request for Information August 29, 2016
- Research and analysis: Laboratory reports of hepatitis A and C: 2016 August 26, 2016
- Notice: GL7 7BB, Mr Christopher Alexander: environmental permit application advertisement August 26, 2016
- Notice: CW10 0NF, Yew Tree at Wimboldsley Limited: environmental permit application advertisement August 26, 2016
- Notice: RM10 7XS, C. A. Blackwell (Contracts) Limited: environmental permit application advertisement August 26, 2016
- Notice: Pre-warning notice to North Shore, The Blyth and Thomas Hepburn Academies August 26, 2016
- Correspondence: Vaccine update: issue 250, August 2016, special edition August 26, 2016
- Transparency data: International leaders programme 2016 to 2017 August 26, 2016
- Decision: St Peter and St Paul Church of England Academy August 26, 2016
- Decision: Becket Keys Church of England School August 26, 2016
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.