It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts Council Tax Defra Drought education farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices garden cities Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning poverty Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Statistics - national statistics: December agricultural and horticultural survey, NI: 2014 February 28, 2015
- Policy paper: Bridging the Social Divide February 28, 2015
- Guidance: Public Contracts Regulations 2015: paying invoices in 30 days down the supply chain February 27, 2015
- Guidance: Public Contracts Regulations 2015: requirements on pre-qualification questionnaires February 27, 2015
- Research and analysis: Growth Vouchers programme: evaluation - early estimate of impact February 27, 2015
- Research and analysis: Growth Vouchers Programme: evaluation - stakeholder views of the service February 27, 2015
- Guidance: Year 7 catch-up premium: 2014 to 2015 allocations February 27, 2015
- Policy paper: Local government transparency code 2015 February 27, 2015
- FOI release: Secondments February 27, 2015
- Notice: GU34 5AQ, Suzana Rustell: Environmental permit application advertisement February 27, 2015
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.