It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget Council Tax Defra Drought education farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Mutuals Planning poverty Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment tourism transport unemployment waste
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Correspondence: Proposal for new shops and supermarkets tax: letter to Derby City Council October 25, 2014
- Open consultation: Nuisance calls consultation October 24, 2014
- Correspondence: Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership: joint letter to EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmström October 24, 2014
- Research and analysis: Rotavirus immunisation programme: vaccine coverage estimates October 24, 2014
- Correspondence: PHE bulletin: 24 October 2014 October 24, 2014
- Statistics: Survey of employment tribunal applications 2013: further findings October 24, 2014
- FOI release: EC Habitats Directive and atlantic salmon October 24, 2014
- Decision: Saint Gregory’s Catholic College October 24, 2014
- Guidance: NHS foundation trust bulletin October 2014 October 24, 2014
- Guidance: 10/2014: business rates retention and shale oil and gas October 24, 2014
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.