This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular Topicsaffordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget Council Tax Defra Drought education Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Mutuals National Planning Framework Nuclear Power Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment tourism transport unemployment waste
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Guidance: Code of Practice for Youth Conditional Cautions April 24, 2014
- Independent report: Ethiopia Joint Flagship programme on gender equality and women's empowerment April 24, 2014
- Notice: ME2 1AW: Environmental permit application advertisement April 24, 2014
- Guidance: National Occupational Standards April 24, 2014
- Guidance: Asset documents April 24, 2014
- Guidance: Onset documents April 24, 2014
- Impact assessment: Company ownership: transparency and trust - impact assessments April 24, 2014
- Transparency data: Input and impact indicators: 2013 to 2014 April 24, 2014
- Notice: WN2 3DA: environmental permit issued April 24, 2014
- Notice: PR4 0BQ: environmental permit issued April 24, 2014
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.