It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts Council Tax Defra Drought education farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices garden cities Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning poverty Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Policy paper: Joint Committee on the Draft Protection of Charities Bill: government response March 26, 2015
- Policy paper: Managing risk in government: good practice March 26, 2015
- Guidance: Talent Action Plan: Guidance for civil servants March 26, 2015
- Research and analysis: Removing the barriers to success in the Civil Service: survey findings March 26, 2015
- Corporate report: Don't Ask, Don't Tell: Barriers to career progression for talented LGB&T individuals in the UK Civil Service March 26, 2015
- Corporate report: Identifying and removing barriers to talented BAME staff progression in the Civil Service March 26, 2015
- Corporate report: Tackling health and disability-related barriers to progression within the Civil Service March 26, 2015
- Guidance: European Regional Development Fund 2014 to 2020: state aid schemes March 26, 2015
- Corporate report: Honorary British awards to foreign nationals - 2015 March 26, 2015
- Corporate report: HMG scholarships cluster review - March 2014 March 26, 2015
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.