It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some scope [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the number [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at North [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts climate change Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Notice: DN36 5PD, Merton College: environmental permit application advertisement April 29, 2016
- Notice: TN15 6NL, St Clere Estate: environmental permit application advertisement April 29, 2016
- Notice: NG34 0BB, Mr Jeremy Padgett: environmental permit application advertisement April 29, 2016
- Notice: SN16 0PA, Mr James Munson: environmental permit application advertisement April 29, 2016
- Notice: NE61 5JR, Ellington Caravan Parks Limited: environmental permit application advertisement April 29, 2016
- Decision: Company Names Tribunal decision: Caterpillar Agricultural Tractors Limited April 29, 2016
- FOI release: FOI NHS Improvement press release on St George’s April 29, 2016
- Guidance: Customs Information Paper 27 (2016): Onward Supply Relief declarations from Customs Warehouse April 29, 2016
- Guidance: Payment methods April 29, 2016
- Notice: Tariff Notice 5 (2016): amendment to Annex I to Council Regulation No 2658/87 April 29, 2016
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.