It is interesting to reflect on the theme of “living working countryside” in the context of this article and the broken link between employment and housing in rural areas. Our next story suggests that whilst youth unemployment is growing the cost of housing in rural areas in increasing. Still this article provides some [...]
Would be very interesting to get an urban/rural split for this story….
Britain’s jobs boom accelerated in the first three months of the year as unemployment reached a five-year low, fuelled by a surge in self-employed workers.
Employment accelerated at the fastest pace in 43 years to reach 30.4 million people, after the [...]
This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget climate change Council Tax Defra Drought education farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices garden cities Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Mutuals Planning poverty Prince Charles Recession Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Policy paper: International monitoring of places of detention January 27, 2015
- Policy paper: Government response to the Foreign Affairs Committee report on the FCO's human rights work in 2013 January 27, 2015
- FOI release: FOI release: VMD budget January 27, 2015
- FOI release: FOI release: Breakdown of antibiotic growth promoters by antibiotic class January 27, 2015
- FOI release: FOI release: Breakdown by antibiotic class of the use of antibiotic growth promoters January 27, 2015
- FOI release: FOI release: Certain manufacturers of Diazinon January 27, 2015
- FOI release: FOI release: Ketofen 10% solution for injection for cattle January 27, 2015
- FOI release: FOI release: VMD ICT information request 24 October 2014 January 27, 2015
- Transparency data: Performance of the Carer's Allowance Unit: Apr 2013 to Mar 2014 January 27, 2015
- Guidance: Introducing GOV.UK Verify January 27, 2015
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.