This article shows just how fragile the private sector is in typical rural service centres.
Taking the example of Okehampton in Devon it highlights problems that are not unique to the countryside, but that do have a strong rural dimension.
“This was prime dairy country,” the article says.
The Taw Valley Creamery at [...]
Popular Topicsaffordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Council Tax Defra Drought education Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Mutuals National Planning Framework Nuclear Power Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment tourism transport unemployment waste wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Correspondence: Violence against women and girls newsletter, spring 2014 March 8, 2014
- Policy paper: A call to end violence against women and girls: action plan 2014 March 8, 2014
- Correspondence: The Town and Country Planning (Demolition - Description of Buildings) Direction 2014 March 7, 2014
- Independent report: Effective health care for vulnerable groups prevented by data gaps March 7, 2014
- Guidance: Preston guidance: March 2014 March 7, 2014
- Correspondence: Notes on neighbourhood planning: edition 9 March 7, 2014
- Transparency data: UTCs and studio schools: open schools and applications received March 7, 2014
- Guidance: Studio school revenue funding: ready reckoners March 7, 2014
- Guidance: Studio school revenue funding: 2013 to 2014 academic year March 7, 2014
- Guidance: UTC revenue funding: ready reckoners March 7, 2014
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.