Whilst it is good to see some “green shoots” of economic recovery and perhaps even the odd economic “snowdrop” in some localities -this article reminds us that the worst recession in a century has left some negative and durable legacies. Having “grown up” children stranded in the parental home across all of England, but in [...]
I have been on the circuit over the last couple of weeks talking to parishes about the localism act. My main point is that the impact of the recession on rural communities, which means it is harder to: live, work and keep warm, in rural England means we need to get to grips with the [...]
This is becoming a bit of a theme with me but I am very concerned about youth unemployment in rural England. I am also currently very frustrated by the way the procurement rules within Leader seem to discriminate against anyone seeking to deliver a solution using that funding. If you would like to know more [...]
This article brings a real tear to eye. It makes you realise just how many well qualified and well motivated young people are fenced out of the labour market by the recession What is upsetting is the hopeless position they feel they are in. There are two really poignant narratives from youngsters in [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget climate change Council Tax Defra Drought education Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices garden cities Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Mutuals Planning poverty Prince Charles Recession Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools tourism transport unemployment waste wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Transparency data: DFID government e-payments framework transactions November 2014 December 22, 2014
- FOI release: Siltation of mussels in Norfolk 1 January 2011 to date December 22, 2014
- FOI release: Number of PCs and operating systems December 22, 2014
- Transparency data: DFID government e-payments framework transactions November 2014 travel December 22, 2014
- Guidance: Freight mode shift benefit values technical report: an update December 22, 2014
- Guidance: NHS foundation trust bulletin December 2014 December 22, 2014
- FOI release: Cost of rebranding the Highways Agency to Highways England December 22, 2014
- Policy paper: Revenue and Customs Brief 49 (2014): VAT - Prompt Payment Discounts December 22, 2014
- Policy paper: The United Kingdom’s future nuclear deterrent: 2014 update to Parliament December 22, 2014
- FOI release: Payments to the British Beekeepers Association (BBKA) December 22, 2014
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.