Couldn’t resist this story, which demonstrates how my rural county is making the most of its tourism assets and heritage connections. After talking about Newton and his legacy the article goes on to profile many other tourism assets in the county. I’m genuinely amazed at the step change we have achieved in our tourism [...]
I have been really pleased to see the bravery and ambition of Newark and Sherwood in getting this initiative off the ground. This is a lovely little story which helps show case one of the positive unintended findings arising from their initiative. With Walt Disney having a walk on role
Graffiti left by schoolboys [...]
I was told by a Barrister today that there is a distinction between tourists and people who travel to rural Lincolnshire to buy antiques. The former are interested in landscape and the latter in retail. All of which left me wishing I had asked why the antiques shoppers didn’t just buy online or encourage Tesco [...]
In the world of rural economic development I occassionally came across someone promoting a scheme which was so outlandish I used to think they were either an escaped loon or a misunderstood genius. This article bought the heady days of the “noughties” when these sort of things were at their height to mind. I [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget budget cuts Defra Devolution energy farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 Libraries local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- FOI release: Number of rateable properties, total rateable value and average rateable value by special category October 26, 2016
- Official Statistics: Local government pension scheme funds for Wales: 2015 to 2016 October 26, 2016
- Official Statistics: Local government pension scheme funds for England: 2015 to 2016 October 26, 2016
- Research and analysis: Legionnaires’ disease in England and Wales report: 2015 October 26, 2016
- FOI release: Spending on leases from 2013-14 to 2015-16 October 26, 2016
- National Statistics: Taking Part October 2016: "Focus on..." reports October 26, 2016
- Decision: Regulatory judgement: Places for People Group Limited April 26, 2016
- Decision: Regulatory judgement: St Vincent's Housing Association Limited April 26, 2016
- Decision: Regulatory judgement: Asra Housing Group Limited March 30, 2016
- Decision: Regulatory judgement: County Durham Housing Group Limited March 17, 2016
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.