In the world of rural economic development I occassionally came across someone promoting a scheme which was so outlandish I used to think they were either an escaped loon or a misunderstood genius. This article bought the heady days of the “noughties” when these sort of things were at their height to mind. [...]
After the party – the hangover begins to settle in.
I often think of this year as being characterised by a national policy of bread and circuses to divert us all from the increasing gap between the metaphorical pound notes in our bags and purses. In what is a bit of a small town theme [...]
For a number of reasons I have never fully thought through I find Avebury more impressive than Stonehenge. I wonder if it is the bleak and functional nature of the current tourism accoutrements of Stonehenge which diminishes it for me? Avebury has a sense of being a living monument in the way it surrouds people’s [...]
If you wanted to experience something deeply ancient and magical at sunrise on the longest day why would you go to Stonehenge? This report highlights 20,000 visitors, arrests, punch-ups and rubbish. The article goes on to explain
“There was a high degree of narcotic and alcohol-induced revelry [this year],” said Philip Mould, an [...]
This article makes me think: Just what is the role of local government and the public sector more generally in supporting and harnessing the economic potential of tourism?
This is a particularly interesting reflection in some rural areas where in many cases there are limited other work options.
The article explains: “With [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget Council Tax Defra Drought education Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Mutuals Nuclear Power Planning poverty Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment tourism transport unemployment waste
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Guidance: Argentina – List of Translators and Interpreters July 22, 2014
- Independent report: Non-Domestic Private Rented Sector Regulations Working Group Report: report to government July 22, 2014
- Independent report: Domestic Private Rented Sector Regulations Working Group Report: report to government July 22, 2014
- Corporate report: Investing in UK Infrastructure July 22, 2014
- Policy paper: Government response to, The application of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights in the UK: a state of confusion July 22, 2014
- Guidance: Surveillance road map July 22, 2014
- Transparency data: NHS foundation trusts: year-end financial data July 22, 2014
- Research and analysis: Charities online registration and variations service July 22, 2014
- Research and analysis: Digital accessibility testing July 22, 2014
- Research and analysis: Exploring digital customer services - View Account and online statement July 22, 2014
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.