I was told by a Barrister today that there is a distinction between tourists and people who travel to rural Lincolnshire to buy antiques. The former are interested in landscape and the latter in retail. All of which left me wishing I had asked why the antiques shoppers didn’t just buy online or encourage Tesco [...]
In the world of rural economic development I occassionally came across someone promoting a scheme which was so outlandish I used to think they were either an escaped loon or a misunderstood genius. This article bought the heady days of the “noughties” when these sort of things were at their height to mind. [...]
After the party – the hangover begins to settle in.
I often think of this year as being characterised by a national policy of bread and circuses to divert us all from the increasing gap between the metaphorical pound notes in our bags and purses. In what is a bit of a small town theme [...]
For a number of reasons I have never fully thought through I find Avebury more impressive than Stonehenge. I wonder if it is the bleak and functional nature of the current tourism accoutrements of Stonehenge which diminishes it for me? Avebury has a sense of being a living monument in the way it surrouds people’s [...]
Popular TopicsAdult Social Care affordable housing badger cull Big Society broadband Budget Council Tax Defra Devolution Drought farming Flooding food fracking Fuel Poverty fuel prices Health High Street housing HS2 local food localism Market Towns Migrant workers Planning poverty Prince Charles Recession Renewables Rural Affordable Housing rural broadband rural crime rural economies Rural Economy Rural Elderly rural health Rural Housing rural poverty rural schools Rural unemployment supermarkets tourism transport unemployment wind farms
- Alex A on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Tommy Woodward on Yorkshire the county thats trouncing Australia in the olympic medal table
- Troy on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Khai on Hospital services need to close to improve care for patients: head of NHS Confederation
- Heidi on Cost of living in countryside soars by £2,000
- Corporate report: The Official Custodian for Charities annual accounts 2014 to 2015 June 29, 2015
- Guidance: Latvia - List of Medical Facilities June 29, 2015
- Corporate report: Committee on Climate Change annual report 2014-15 June 29, 2015
- Guidance: Rwanda – Consular Fees June 29, 2015
- Corporate report: Office for Nuclear Regulation annual report and accounts 2014/15 June 29, 2015
- Guidance: Bosnia and Herzegovina - List of funeral directors June 29, 2015
- FOI release: FOI responses released by MOD: week commencing 29 June 2015 June 29, 2015
- Guidance: Bosnia and Herzegovina - List of medical facilities June 29, 2015
- Guidance: Swaziland - List of lawyers June 29, 2015
- Guidance: Bosnia and Herzegovina - List of translators and interpreters June 29, 2015
About HinterlandHinterland offers a rural perspective on national news events throughout the week.
This service is provided by the Rural Services Network - devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
We are the only national network focusing specifically on this vital aspect of rural life.